AIRA uses an algorithm to scan the manuscript figures to detect and highlight any duplications or similarities it finds in the images.
If AIRA highlights image duplication and there are repeated patterns present in the figures, the handling editors must assess this as part of their review process. If the image duplication concern requires further clarification, the handling editor will include their comments in the Review Forum, in their “Editor tab” to inform the authors regarding the concern. The authors are expected to provide clarifications and/or resubmit the revised figures if the image duplication concerns are legitimate. The handling editor must reassess the figures in the revised manuscript once it has been resubmitted.
How to assess the image integrity of manuscripts with AIRA
- Assess the image integrity concerns by opening the image(s) linked in the image integrity indicator description.
- Check each highlighted area of the figures to their corresponding duplicates. The duplicates are highlighted using the same matching colours for ease of assessment.
- Determine if the image duplications are appropriate to proceed or if they require further clarification and/or revision. If the image duplication concern requires further clarification, the handling editor will include their comments in the Review Forum, in their “Editor tab”.
How to interact with the Image Integrity AIRA check
- If you are satisfied with the image integrity of the manuscript, select the option Images are OK.
- If you feel that the figures require further clarification and/or revision, please do not select any options and leave the indicator as is. Please include your feedback regarding the image integrity in your review comment box along with your other comments, under your ‘Editor tab’.
- If/when the issue has been resolved and/or the authors provided sufficient clarifications, select the option Manuscript contains repeated patterns in images but is OK or Images are OK.
- If the issue cannot be resolved and/or the authors failed to provide sufficient clarifications, select the option Manuscript to be rejected and proceed with the recommendation for rejection in the Review Forum.
- If you are unsure of whether action is required from the authors, please select the option Unable to confirm, Frontiers Editorial Office to verify. The Frontiers Editorial Office will be notified that you require assistance.