Do I need to obtain copyright licenses for reuse of already published third party material?

If you would like to reproduce or adapt copyrighted figures or text in a Frontiers article, which were originally published elsewhere, you will have to acquire permission from the concerned publisher. You will have to request a publisher license, which includes the permission to publish the figures or text in a Frontiers article under a CC BY license. You may also be able to obtain a license by contacting the Copyright Clearance Center.


When submitting your article, include the license with the rest of your files. Please bear in mind that Frontiers will not cover any permission fees charged by other publishers for copyrighted material and it is the responsibility of the author to cover any supplementary charges.